Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Encaustics with Enkaustikos!

I realized that I didn't post any of the videos I watched to help me along with my encaustic experiments...I found that the company Enkaustikos had the most helpful videos.  There were some pretty terrible videos...terrible.
These are both Enkaustikos videos.  The first is just an explanation of supplies and setting up your work area.  The second video shows how to create surfaces with different heat sources and tools.




After my experiments, I had a chance to talk with Professor Noel, who uses encaustics in her own work.  My discussion with her was extremely helpful as well as the material she sent me that included safety instructions along with step by step instructions for making your own encaustic paint.  It turns out that it is much less expensive to create your own colors with wax and pigment.  I definitely won't have time to play with this before the semester is out but I will be attempting it in the near future.  I didn't think I would like this medium and now that I've used it, I'm very happy at my decision to splurge on the encaustic materials.  Being a painter, I think it is very important to experiment with different methods and materials.  Lately, I have been interested in combining 2-dimensional media to create my paintings and I am so excited to incorporate encaustics into my future pieces!
Totally worth it and SO amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment